Hotel Nassauer Hof history and traditions
The grandest luxury hotel in Wiesbaden
The history of the hotel goes back to 1813. At that time, the innkeeper Johann Freinsheim opened the Deutsche Haus, a name he changed into Hotel Nassau three years later. The Johann Friedrich Goetz family acquired the building in 1819 and had it lavishly remodeled along classical lines.
In 1827, the new Ducal Hoftheater was opened in the direct proximity of the hotel, a development from which the Goetz family also profited. When the railway connection to Frankfurt am Main was opened in 1840, guests of the up-and-coming spa city of Wiesbaden were able to travel there using the convenient train service. The city, soon to be dubbed "world spa city", subsequently experienced a major boom period. Numerous guests came to take the baths in the swanky Kurbad, among them the Russian author Fyodor Dostoyevsky, who checked into Hotel Nassau, squandered all his money in the Spielcasino and, finding himself in a desperate financial situation, wrote his novel The Gambler, in which Wiesbaden lives on as Roulettenburg.
The Duchy of Nassau, which sided with Austria during the Austro-Prussian War, was annexed by victorious Prussia in 1866. The Duke was sent scurrying from the Stadtschloss and in the ensuing period the Prussian kings, later the German Kaisers, gladly settled into the Schloss during their numerous stays in the city. It was also thanks to the frequent visits by the German Kaiser that the city developed into a real magnet, boasting the most millionaires in Germany at the turn of the 20th century. Many new buildings were constructed during the belle époque, among them the Theater (1894) and the new Kurhaus (1907), both located in the direct vicinity of Hotel Nassau. In 1897 Kaiser Wilhelm II inaugurated a monument to his father right in front of Hotel Nassauer Hof, as the hotel was then called. The adjacent Hoftheater was integrated into the hotel complex the same year.
In 1903 the hotel served as the setting for an encounter between Kaiser Wilhelm II and Czar Nicolaus II. In 1907 the new Kurhaus was officially opened within viewing distance. The hotel was also expanded and remodeled at the time, receiving its resplendent Wilhelminian facade. By then it had 200 sumptuously furnished rooms and a luxurious thermal bath.
The family tradition came to an end in 1917. After World War I, the Mülheim industrialist Hugo Stinnes bought the hotel from the Goetz family. The hotel was gutted by fire in World War II. Reconstruction got underway in 1950, financed by Stinnes and directed by the architect Ernst Neufert. Since 2001, Hotel Nassauer Hof has belonged to a group of investors, who have set up an operating company to run the hotel.
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- Wilhelm II
- Nicholas II
- Walther Rathenau
- Paul von Hindenburg
- John F. Kennedy
- Richard Nixon
- Audrey Hepburn
- Luciano Pavarotti
- Reinhold Messner
- Dalai Lama
- Vladimir Putin
- Willem-Alexander & Máxima of the Netherlands